Monday, May 12

Reading Link Day 12: Kung Bumalik ang mga Dinosaurs

Last week, we had a conference with Teacher Hazelle. And Glenda told the class that her students enjoyed the story "If Dinosaurs Came Back." Suddenly, I got inspired by what she said because I was too sure that my students would also enjoy a story about dinosaurs. And I was right. The students loved the story. Because I was teaching in Filipino, I had to translate the text to Filipino and because the text was long for my set of learners, I also skipped some pages.

We solved a dinosaur jigsaw puzzle in the activating prior knowledge. I had a student search for a puzzle pieces after identifying a picture of an animal. Although it was a nice activity, next time I need to find a way to stick the puzzle pieces in a neater way. When we finished doing the puzzle, we could not post it upright on the board. By the way, Luis is not in class because he got sick. He surely missed a lot of dinosaur fun.


During reading, Cedric would come very close  to the book. His classmates would tell him to sit down. Although I like Cedric's intense interest in the story, I need to learn how to make them sit properly during reading. Sometimes, I am able to do it but there are still lapses. Vladymir and Alex had a lot to say about dinosaurs.

After reading, the students drew other things that dinosaurs could do for us. I think Jan Derick's drawing of a T-rex was very nice. It really was ferocious. Vladymir's idea was unique. He drew a dinosaur dancing ballet and making the audience laugh. I asked the kids whose idea they liked best and two of them voted for Vladymir's. Justine Carl seemed to be not confident in drawing pictures so Teacher Julie assisted him. I found out that my second engagement activity was difficult for them to answer. They were supposed to sort which animals are still living at present and which lived in the past. It was difficult because I think they were not familiar with some of the animals I presented and some animals look like another type of animal that they know of so they thought it was the one that they know of. For enrichment, we made dinosaurs made of paper plates. They get to select the type of dinosaur that they want to make. Jayvee liked the paper plate dinosaurs that he was one of the first to finish making dinosaurs. He liked the dinosaurs so much that he borrowed some of the ones I made as example and played with them. He named his dinosaur "Ninja."

For GOLD, we studied names of colors. I had them search for dinosaurs that have the specific color that I call out. Then, we played "Touch the Color," which was a lot of fun. They really like running around. Then, they colored a picture of a dinosaur. It was a color by number activity.

There was no time to do TS and I think the kids were already exhausted from running and coloring.



No comments:

Post a Comment