Today, there were 8 students who came into my class: Jan Derick, Therese, Vladymir, Alexander, Justine, Cedric, Jayvee, and Luis. It was a hell day because out of the 8 students, only one seems to exhibit and that is Therese. She is so ladylike and sweet and she also gets angry at her classmates for misbehaving. Luis was hesitant to join us at first. It was Teacher Hazelle who convinced him to join us. Jan Derick seemed to have a world of his own because sometimes he would leave the group and do other things. Vladymir was so hyperactive and did weird things like have his classmates smell his shoes and wipe his drool on his classmates. Vladymir usually starts the antics and his classmates would follow him (except for Therese who is always well behaved).
There are several things I found out today about these kids:
1. They are very energetic.
I don't know where they get all that energy from. I ran after them, carried them down the chair, and
tolerated the noise. After an hour or so of being with them, I got so exhausted that I told Teacher
Hazelle that I want to give up and cry.
2. They love superheroes.
Because most of them are boys, they love superheroes like Captain America, Spiderman, Superman
and the like. Therese, on the other hand, like girl stuff, of course. She likes Frozen.
3. They love cartoons.
I asked them what their favorite cartoon was and all of them answered at the same time and they
enumerated a lot that I lost track of what they are.
4. They don't know how to open packages.
I expected this. I spent time opening their snacks for them.
5. They love to run.
We spent most of the time running after one another.
6. They had a hard time removing the backing of a sticker.
When we did the spider hat, I spent time removing the backing of the double sided tape that I used
on the hats.
Today, I failed to deliver the lesson properly because I failed to establish systems. For me, it was really hard to establish these routines and systems. I tried the strategies I used with my high school students but it was not working. I also tried doing what I have read in blogs about building routines for preschoolers but I guess because I was not feeling confident and I am really struggling to remember all that I read that I failed to do the strategies properly. I also realized that I really need to prepare ahead of time to get things going smoothly. So, the only successful thing that happened today was we were able to do the enrichment activity (spider hat). But then again, I could not really call it successful because I was not able to deliver the lesson for it.
I received a lot of help today. So, I would like to thank Teacher Hazelle for helping me out. Every time she came in, I think an angel had come to visit because the kids would start behaving properly. And then when she leaves, the kids would turn into little monsters again. I would also like to thank Jade because she ran after some of the kids when I could not handle them anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment