Monday, May 20

DRL 8: Stone Soup

The lesson started with a test on synonyms and antonyms. This was not in my lesson plan but I wanted to see if Angel now has a working knowledge of the two. We did two lessons on synonyms and two lessons on antonyms in the past.

Out of 24 items she got 6. The test has a mixture of words she has encountered before in our drills and new words. Because I was alarmed by the score, I did some drills by having her read the flash cards we used in previous lessons. Then, I made a 10-item quiz, getting words only from the stack of flash cards that I made her review. Out of 10, she got 7 items correctly.

Then, we proceeded to do handwriting. It took her a bit of time thinking of words that start with letters "p" and "v." Sometimes, I gave her clues of things that I could think of that start with those letters. So it seems like she was answering riddles.

Our lesson for phonemic awareness, decoding and word recognition is the words with "ou" digraphs. I had her listen then read words with "ou" digraphs. Two sounds of "ou" were introduced: the /aw/ sound in mouse and the /oo/ sound in soup. We did word sorts. She had to sort the words based on the sounds. One prominent behavior while she was doing the word sorts was that she was moving her lips similar to a pout to sound the words to help her distinguish if it has the /oo/ sound. If she could not do the pouting lips then she would place the word in the /aw/ column. Out of 16 words, she made 3 errors. We also read some phrases with words that contain the "ou" digraph.

For Unlocking of Difficulties in the Oral Reading  Comprehension, I think some of my definitions are still above her level. After I gave an example sentence, I had to explain further the meaning of the words if she was not able to get the correct meaning.

We had a few minutes breaktime. We ate the scrambled egg that she designed by using cutters/molders. The egg was supposedly her Enrichment Activity from the lesson "The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg."

Angel and I are proud of our pets.
Angel enjoyed the Schema Activation of coloring the fruits and vegetables, then cutting and categorizing them to fruit or vegetable. She was able to identify some vegetables that her mother uses when cooking soup. I asked her about her favorite soup and she said it is mushroom soup. Then I asked her if she has eaten a stone soup before. She said she hasn't. When she learned that our reading material was Stone Soup, she said that she has read the story before in Grade 2.

Our pets truly rock!
During reading, she was a bit distracted. I have to stop and asked her if she was still listening. I think the inattention was due to her knowledge that she has read it before. Anyway, when I asked her if she was still listening, she directed her attention to the reading material and she read a few pages. I found it hard to draw out that there was a trick in the story and that the stone was not magical. I think that she thinks that the stone was important because the traveler was able to make soup out of it.

Angel enjoyed the Pet Stone activity that we did as an enrichment activity for this lesson. Since she liked it so much, I asked if she wanted to bring home some stones so she can replicate what we did today at home. She agreed and took home some materials with her.

I do not have a lot of pictures for this lesson because I forgot to bring my camera. But I would like to thank my classmate, Lee, for taking a picture of Angel, our pet rocks, and me.




No comments:

Post a Comment