Thursday, May 9

DRL 1: Wait, Wait! I'm Just the Bait!

On May 7-8, 2013, Angel and I had our first directed reading lesson. In terms of behavior, I think that we have already established a "good-enough" rapport that helped me work with her in a manageable way but in general she was still shy and would often respond only when asked.


Angel doing an "-ake" word family worksheet
In word families, I think she was able to do the activities quite well. She was able to identify most of the words in the picture and was able to grasp the idea that some words have similar endings.

The general conduct of the lesson was okay but I think she had a hard time with synonyms. She has very few vocabulary knowledge.


The reading material for lesson 1
The skills development lesson took a bit long. So I have to schedule the reading comprehension lesson the next day. If I pushed through with the lesson, I think I would get little response or interest from her.

Anyway, it was good that I postponed the reading comprehension part because I was able to consult with our professor. The ideas she gave me really helped a lot in delivering the lesson. I also enjoyed the fishing simulation game that Angel and I did (I also think that she enjoyed it as well because she was enthusiastic to take home the rods and the paper fish and when I asked her during our next session if she played fishing at home, she said that she did play with her sister.)

Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures of the fishing simulation activity because I was so excited that I forgot about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment