This is the third day that Angel and I have been together and I noticed that she still felt uneasy at times. She was still quiet and responded only when asked something.
However, when we were doing the pre-reading activity about measuring different things using our foot, she seemed to smile more often and I think she has enjoyed that activity.
![]() |
| Angel's worksheet that she answered while doing the measuring activity. |
While reading the story, I needed to ask questions in Tagalog. It seems she could not understand because she cannot answer the questions properly. I have to point at pictures to help her understand.
There were parts that I think she was not able to understand even though she was able to answer the story frame (with prompting). I thought this because when I asked her to draw the funniest part of the story, she drew a man measuring a baby. When I asked her what her drawing was about, she pointed out to the picture of the guest at the end of the book. I was expecting a drawing related to the king and the carpenter not being able to understand one another. In any case, the guest measuring the baby was not part of the story. The illustrator could have drawn something else.
![]() |
| Story frame worksheet answered by Angel |
![]() |
| Angel drew what she thinks as the funniest part of the story. |
| The last page of the book where Angel got the inspiration for her drawing. |
Angel aslo did a comparison of the two table. She seemed to get the concept that the two tables (the table that the king had in mind and the table that the carpenter made) are different. However, she was not able to grasp yet the concept of needing to use a standard unit of measure. She replied "yes" to the question "Is using one's own foot a good way of measuring the distance?" When I asked for reason, she said that they used their foot to measure. I used the Activating Schema worksheet to make her see that there would be differences if a different foot is used. She just nodded her head when I explained.
![]() |
| Angel compared the two tables. |
Angel can list objects that are used at home, in a store and in the classroom but prompts must be given like "Ano ba ang sinusukat ng Mama mo sa inyo?" "Pag bumibili kayo sa tindahan, ano ba yung sinusukat nung tindera?" She knows that measuring things is important but for the reason why she could not seem to connect to her personal experiences properly.
- I asked her, "Eh pag nagkulang yung binili ng mama mo na kilo ng baboy, anong mangyayari?"
- She replied, "Hindi na lang kami kakain."
- I asked, "Hindi ba magagalit yung mama mo dun sa tindera?"
- She replied, "Hindi po."
- I asked, "Eh anong mararamdaman nya?"
- She replied, "Ma-sa-sad sya."
![]() |
| Connections Worksheet |
---------
Lessons I Learned in This Lesson
1. Some students have a notion that they always have to say the "right" things.
2. When I ask many questions during reading, the student cannot picture the whole story in their mind. I found this out because we had to go back to the story book after reading it and look at the story and pictures again when Angel was answering the Story Frame.





No comments:
Post a Comment