Teacher Hazelle told us to look for a funny story that will make the last day worthwhile. I find the story "The Gruffalo" funny and I really want to share it to my students so even if it is in English, I chose it as my reading material. I just translated it to Filipino. Teacher Hazelle approved the selection but told me to make the story shorter.
I did not have the book of "The Gruffalo" but I have a .pptx copy. So, I made a hard copy. I made a big book and changed the text to Filipino before I printed the book out.
The story was a hit! Before reading, we sorted animals according to the food they eat. I had them clip the animals on a clothesline. Then, I asked them about monsters and they had a lot to say about monsters. While reading, Luis kept asking if we're going to make a gruffalo. But I told him that we would be making our own monsters instead later. For engagement activity, they were able to pick the correct characters. And, they were able to color the gruffalo correctly (although I remember one of them asking if he could give the gruffalo a different color).
For the enrichment activity, we made a flip book about monsters. The students had a lot of ideas for the features of their monsters. Some monsters had a lot of mouths; some a lot of eyes; some lack some facial features. In this activity, I think Justine Carl was really shy about his drawings. I think he feels he could not draw nicely. He told me he could not do the activity. But I said he could draw anything. He borrowed my example instead because we wanted to copy the ideas there.
For GOLD, we practiced for our readers' theater presentation. I made a script entitled "Sunog! Sunog!" with superhero characters. They chose the characters they wanted to portray. It feels nice when things happen according to your plan. I feel really great because they were cooperative during the practice. Of course, I could not thank Teacher Julie enough for helping me out.
After the practice, we made superhero masks that they brought home. The students left the room wearing their superhero mask. Vladymir felt in character as Incredible Hulk even as he was going out of the room.
No comments:
Post a Comment