Saturday, December 31

Christmas: Then and Now

Christmas is the time of year when the Riveras, Litaos and Villafrancas gather at Lolo's house to celebrate. I am rather pleased with the way Christmas turned out this year because although many of our family and relatives are not around to spend the holidays with us (either because their in another land or already in the ethereal realm), there were a few additions who have been added to the family. There's Erwin, who became officially part of the family since Dones and he tied the knot last January. Then, there's John Dean, who due to his blossoming relation with my cousin Ronakins made me consider him part of the family. There's Jennylyn, Lois' best friend who I realized has become part of the family because she's there every major event in our compound.

There's nothing really new about how we spent Christmas. The traditional things have been executed like the noche buena feast and the gift-giving. Lolo became the Santa Claus. What I find funny about the gift-giving part is Donna has to whisper to Lolo to whom has to be given. He would frequently say "Ha?" when he couldn't comprehend the name said to him. And to think we just bought him hearing aid the day before. He lost it the day after.

Games were omitted. I don't know why we did not do that this year. Perhaps we forgot or because there was no sounds or music to perk up our bodies to moving.  

As I was rummaging to the folders in my D drive looking for things to delete to free some space, I saw some old Christmas videos I took in 2009.

Seeing the video swept a wave of nostalgia to my mind. Lyssa was still a few inches shorter and less plump. Notnot was his usual naughty self but again more diminutive. Comparing the videos I took this year, I've seen how time has passed because the kids have grown considerable taller and they look a bit different too. Tita Cristy was still with us too in the 2009 video.

I hope we will get to have a reunion with my family and relatives living in the U.S. and in Laoag. I wish to spend some time to get updated with the things happening in their lives. When that happens, I hope I have my video cam then. One thing good about today's technology is you get to keep a memory vivid not only in your mind but you get to share it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment