Saturday, August 27
Mid-term Madness!
It has been a long time since I last attended an examination wherein I am one of the examinees. Yesterday, August 27, 2011, my classmates and I had our midterm exam in EDR 201. The exam was scheduled two weeks before but due to some delays in the calendar of activities it was postponed. That bought me some more time to study but the extra time that was given me was not spent on studying. Rather, it was spent on work-related tasks like making lesson plans and constructing tests for my English III classes. Some of the hours were spent in making my paper in ENG 245 and still others were spent in leisure activities like sleeping and watching the entire Sunkyunkwan Scandal Korean drama series that I enjoyed so much.
I had read some of the modules in EDR 201 before. So I was hoping for easy recall of the concepts studied. There were modules, of course, that I had only set eyes on last Thursday when I started reviewing for the exam. Studying never fails to give me challenges. Of course, I was not able to study everything prior to the exam proper. I was really hoping to buy more time so that I could still review the lessons. The weather yesterday was not at its best and there were rumors that classes were suspended. I did cross my fingers and wished at the back of my head that it would indeed be suspended.
I went to the UP Main Library at 7:45 am hoping to spend some quiet time reviewing my lessons. When I got there the library was still closed so I spent time standing while reading my book in EDR 201. At 8:00am, I finally got in the library. At 8:30, I was supposed to go to my class already. However, I didn't because I know I still have a lot of things to read. I finished reviewing Module 3 but never get the chance to re-read Modules 1 and 2. (I review my lessons backwards, by the way.) I was in panic mode already and I do tend to dally when I am in panic mode. It was a natural reaction from me. Either that or I would rush into things which is also not good because I tend to make a lot of mistakes when rushing. So I opted for the former. The class never start on time anyway, I said to myself.
Unluckily for me, the class started early. I was questioned by my professor why I was late. I could not reply anything in return because I didn't know what to tell her. I was in UP early but I wanted to review further so I did not come to class on time. That was the real reason but I couldn't say that! So I remained silent. I was asked again... Silence... I guess, Prof. Preclaro judged that she wouldn't get any response so she just gave me the test paper.
In UP, professors make test questions that always make me dumbfounded with shock when you first see them. Where did the multiple choice questions go? How about matching type tests? They sure have a knack of giving identification tests... the harder type of identification tests. The name of the person would be given then you have to identify him or her in three to five sentences. Should I feign temporal insanity so that she would give me another chance to take the test on another day?
Well, anyway, the first item in the test surely made me want to bang my head on the classroom wall. The other test questions were as hard as the first one. I had to explain processes that we had studied about as well as illustrate through concept maps some of the answers to help present what I was driving at.
In the end, I was able to answer all test questions but I am not sure if my answers are good enough to convince my professor to give me a passing grade. So, what lesson have I learned from this experience? Do not enroll in an MA class anymore... Hehehe! I was just kidding! Should I really spell it out to myself? Do not cram! Study ahead of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment